Healthy Pet Program
Our Commitment to Your Pet's Health
Safari Pet Resort has a long standing reputation for providing the very best care of our clients' pet companions. Based on this reputation and the trust our clients have in our company, we are happy to provide an additional service that underscores our continuing commitment to provide the highest quality of pet care, our Healthy Pet Program (HPP).
Safari Pet Resort will reimburse our clients up to $500 per year in eligible veterinary expenses for illnesses or injuries that are deemed as a direct result of their visit to Safari Pet Resort. The details of this benefit for our clients' pets are presented below.
Which Pets Are Covered?
All pets receiving services at Safari Pet Resort will enjoy the benefits of the HPP. Pets not meeting Safari's vaccination requirements do not qualify for the illness portion.
Eligible expenses include diagnostic and/or treatment provided by a licensed veterinarian that are directly related to an illness or injury that arises as a result of the pet's visit to Safari Pet Resort. Illness or injury must either arise during the pet's visit, or become evident within five days of the pet’s departure from Safari Pet Resort. (Please see below concerning reporting deadline for reimbursement.)
Expenses that are not eligible for reimbursement include, but are not limited to:
- Pre-existing conditions
- Illnesses or injuries sustained by the pet before arriving at Safari Pet Resort
- Illnesses of pet whose vaccinations are not current
- Age-related illnesses or injuries
- Injuries inflicted by pets in the same family or by pets lodging together at the owner's request
- Anxiety-related illnesses **(If you suspect your pet may be anxious in a kennel setting, talk to your veterinarian before boarding about tips and medications that can help ease your pet’s experience.)
- Genetic conditions/complications
- Intestinal parasites and/or bacterial infections
- Expenses related to pet ingesting materials beyond reasonable control (provided bedding; toys in play areas; outdoor materials such as bits of mulch, rocks, sticks, etc.)
- Acts of God including hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods
- Expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of canine influenza if not currently vaccinated for CIV. (For CIV expenses to be eligible, pets must be fully vaccinated for CIV and have received CIV testing and diagnosis by a veterinarian.)
Vaccinations required by Safari Pet Resort are to be current and will be administered a minimum of two (2) days prior to check-in. See also notice of Respiratory Infections, Bordetella below. If your pet is non-compliant with the vaccination requirements, your pet will not qualify for the illness portion of the HPP, though the injury portion may still remain in effect.
The maximum reimbursement is $500 per pet per year, not to exceed this amount annually.
The HPP is provided as a part of our commitment to excellence in providing premium pet care.
Respiratory Infections, Bordetella
Bordetella (or kennel cough) is a highly contagious respiratory illness not unlike the common cold in humans, which can be contracted when dogs come in contact with other pets in social settings, like boarding facilities hence the name.
Vaccinations are essential steps in preventative care, which is why Safari Pet Resort requires the annual Bordetella vaccination, in addition to maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness to help protect against and prevent this common illness. Thank you for partnering with us to keep your pets happy & healthy!
Still, despite the effectiveness of vaccines and Safari Pet Resort's stringent disinfecting and air cleansing efforts, a small percentage of vaccinated pets will find themselves susceptible to the Bordetella virus. Just like we find with our own flu shot each year, some vaccinated individuals will still contract the flu virus. For such reasons, it is at the discretion of Safari Pet Resort to deem eligible Bordetella exposures for HPP reimbursement.
How to Seek Reimbursement
Pet owners must follow these steps in order to request reimbursement for eligible expenses:
- The illness or injury must be reported to the General Manager within five (5) days of the pet's departure from Safari Pet Resort to qualify for reimbursement, and the pet must have been evaluated by licensed veterinarians within these five (5) days.
- The pet owner is responsible for paying all veterinary expenses directly to the licensed veterinarian or animal clinic. Safari Pet Resort will not make payment to the veterinarian. To be eligible for reimbursement, the pet owner is also required to make full payment to Safari Pet Resort for any services rendered during their pet's visit.
- The pet owner must submit a copy of the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment charges within two weeks of the pet's departure from Safari Pet Resort. The request for reimbursement should be submitted to the General Manager via email, fax, or hand-delivery to ensure the information is received promptly.
- Safari Pet Resort may require a conference call with the treating veterinarian to learn more about the illness or injury or confirm that the illness or injury was not due to any pre-existing conditions. In these cases, pet owners must give their veterinarians authorization to speak to a Safari Pet Resort manager regarding their pet's condition. Otherwise, Safari cannot verify if the expense if eligible.
- Within 14 days of receiving the request for reimbursement and a copy of the veterinary expenses and diagnosis, Safari Pet Resort will mail a check payable to the pet owner to reimburse eligible expenses up to a maximum of $500 per pet annually. If there is any question about the applicability or necessity of a diagnostic test or treatment, Safari Pet Resort will seek the counsel of one or more independent veterinarians prior to determining final reimbursement eligibility, which shall be determined in Safari Pet Resort's sole discretion. Safari Pet Resort maintains the right to disqualify expenses that are not, in the opinion of our consulting veterinarians, directly related to the diagnosis and/or treatment of the pet's illness or injury.
This HPP Agreement is an addendum to the Master Services Agreement.
Thank you for joining us in our commitment to ensuring Happier, Healthier Pets!
If any part of this Agreement shall be deemed unenforceable or illegal or in conflict with the General Statutes of the State under which this Agreement shall be governed, the parties agree that the portion of this Agreement deemed illegal or in conflict with the Statutes shall be void, but the remainder of the Agreement shall be valid and enforceable. Safari Pet Resort may alter or terminate this HPP at any time. If cancelled, Safari Pet Resort shall reimburse the owner for eligible veterinary expenses incurred prior to the termination of the HPP.